piątek, 17 grudnia 2010

HBO rocked the hockey world

Finally I managed to get my hands on the first episode of HBO’s new reality show „24/7 – Road to Winter Classic”. Yes, you heard me right, I’m watching some reality TV and what’s more – I’m going to post about it on a blog. 24/7 is HBO’s sports series showing various disciplines with all-access nothing-hidden approach. This time they took on the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals depicting the teams’ preparation to the outdoor game between the two on Jan 1st. HBO promised full access and no censorship. After the first episode I must say they have delivered.



For me, as a hockey nut, the show is captivating. I caught myself thinking that if that episode went on for three hours, I’d still watch it with my jaw between my feet. We got everything – chats with referees, coaches’ rants, shots from the dressing room and hotel room pranks. You can see how a hockey team operates and how players gel with each other. “Road to Winter Classic” offers a unique glimpse behind the curtain and gives a chance to better understand the game.

It’s quite well shot and produced, I must say. The music is cool [the final shot with Band of Horses’ “The Funeral” in background – huge thumbs up] and hockey is shown in detail. A viewer grows to like players more – I noticed that I felt sorry for the Caps after another loss even though I’m not a fan of the team and generally I have lots of “Schadenfreude” when looking at their struggles.

I truly do believe that, if marketed well, this show can attract many people to NHL hockey. The game is shown as it is – unfiltered, without the ugly parts cut off. But it makes it more human. These are not mindless punks going at each other anymore. We see living people, who leave their families for road trips, drive to practice rinks with a cup of coffee in their hands or struggle with injuries in the locker room. Of course, there is quite a lot of stuff that a hardcore fan already knows by heart – the introduction about Ovechkin and Crosby’s rivalry, the Caps’ playoff failures, the Penguins Stanley Cup… Anyone who follows NHL even half-closely doesn’t need to listen to this again.

Here comes the part that, I think, is the show’s greatest asset. You can buy some beer and watch 24/7 with your non-hockey buddies. Hell, if you have a girlfriend who doesn’t shy away from sports, you can watch it with her. They will be entertained and so will you. You will drool over Dan Bylsma explaining his team’s strategy to the players and your friends will be looking at tenacity of a hockey practice and at the speed the game is played at. That is a rare feat – not to bore hardcores to death and attract new fans. I think “Road to Winter Classic” has potential to achieve. For me, the most interesting part were bits of sound usually held off the record – Boudreau ranting in the locker room or Ovechkin talking to referees. Also, the routine of a hockey team, travelling or coach’s daily meeting with the manager.

So, if you are a hockey nut, go find this show – it is a must-see. And if you don’t really grasp hockey, if you think it’s not your cup of tea, give it a try. An episode is only one hour of your time and you may be surprised how quickly this hour will pass.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz